Friday, December 19, 2008

2008 Scarlet Awards

Tyler
Scarlet Surge
Date Posted: 12/19/08

I'm back to give out some of my awards. I saw every game this season, and went to each and every home game. Let me know what you think of my choices for a few awards!

Offensive player of the year: Kenny Britt, WR. I'm pretty sure there is no arguing this one. Kenny was one of the best wide out's in the country this year. It's sad he hasn't gotten the media attention that he should. He made the 1st team All-Big East but no All-American selection disappointed me. He'll be making the jump to the pros, and whoever selects him will be getting a great one. One more game for Britt against NC state in the bowl game, but it's been fun watching Kenny. Thanks for the memories!

Defensive player of the year: Kevin Malast, LB. Led the team with 96 tackles, and also had an interception against Pittsburgh that helped seal the big victory in the Steel City. Kevin has been a great, and quite underrated linebacker in his tenure with the Knights. He should get a look in the NFL, as he is a senior, and will have his last game versus NC state on December 29th.

Biggest surprise of the year: Jourdan Brooks, HB. In the chances he got, he was pretty good overall. His best game was the last one, against Louisville. I expect him to get a good amount of carries against NC state. He's a big bruiser, and will be exciting to watch for years to come. He's just a freshman!

Most resilient player of the year: Mike Teel, QB. I knew we had to find an award for this guy. I came in as the biggest Mike Teel fan, and as the biggest. When Rutgers played Illinois at home to open up the season, I was the one in he stands with a "TEEL FOR HEISMAN" sign. It's been fun to watch this guy the past few seasons, and he goes out as the best RU QB of all-time. Man, I really hope he gets a shot in the NFL. Good luck, Mike.


Those are my 2008 Scarlet Awards. Check back next week sometime for a preview of the Papajohns.com bowl versus NC state!

No comments: